St John’s football triumph!


Recently St John’s enrolled in an inter schools football tournament which was held at Ryburn Valley high school on the 7th of March. For the first time ever we maximized our chances by adding a third team to the competition. After weeks of training our brilliant coach Mr Dewick, who had dramatically improved many of our football skills chose the three teams after weeks of training. The teams included: Jed, James (goalkeepers) Louie, Aidan, Kai (captain) and Anthony. This was the C team. The B team began with six players but then went down to five after key player Tyson broke his toe. The remaining players were Zacc, (the keeper), Rupert, Euan, Joe and Lucas. The captain for this skilful squad was Zacc. Finally the A team built a five person squad which involved five year sixes, these were: Marcus (goalkeeper), Alastair (captain), Isobel, Max and Sam (goal machine).

All players arrived at the set location at 9:15 for the tournament. A short while after arriving Mr Dewick got the fixtures for us to view. When viewing the up coming fixtures we realised that the B and C team were in the same group therefore they played each other. In this game the favourites (B Team) only just won by scoring two second half goals. Later the B team continued their fine run by winning against Norland and Mill Bank to top their group and not concede any goals. In the same group, the C team got very close in every single match however they didn’t pick up a win. A majority of players in that team will be playing next year so valuable experience was gained.

As for the A team, they also played three excellent matches. The first game was against Heathfield. In this match the team were down 1-0, but we came back to win 3-1. After that a late winner was scored against Sacred Heart, so another win came! The A team’s final group game was against Sowerby Village who were smashed 6-0 by the A team. After all group games had been played we discovered that both the A and B team topped their group and advanced to the semi- finals.

In the semi- finals the A team faced a team that the B team had already beaten, this team was Norland. After a close game St John’s A team managed a 1-0 victory which allowed them to advance to the final. In the other semi-final the B team played very well against Heathfield who are a very physical side. However the team conceded a late goal in the match which unfortunately eliminated them from the tournament. By eleven o’clock the final kicked off. Luckily for St Johns their opponents were a team they had already beaten so they felt confident. The team played a great game which they dominated from start to finish. The game ended and St John’s beat Heathfield by three goals to nil.

Thanks to a lot of team work, coaching and parent support, St John’s once again won the trophy! All the teams were strong and many players will be back next year to get stuck in to the fun and eventful day which was enjoyed by all participating players, staff and parents. Big thanks to Mr Dewick who trained us all to play football the St John’s way.

By Marcus Hiley and Alastair Scott.